Broadway Avenue, Palmerston North (originally Broad Street), was renamed in March 1926. This photograph was taken from The Square, near the Rangitikei Street corner. The pharmacy building, designed by Reginald Thorrold Jaggard, was built for Herbert Hepworth in 1917. It remains today as a listed heritage building. Watchorns store was erected in 1907 and used as a drapery store until 1923 when Mr J S Watchorn's son Geoff started a hardware business. Woolworths demolished the building in 1964 to build a department store. The old Collinson and Cunninghame building (with dome) was built in 1904 and extended in 1911 when the ornamental dome and verandah were added. The new Collinson and Cunninghame building was built in 1964-65, and is currently occupied by Farmer's Department Store (2007). The Regent Theatre, constructed 1929, can be seen at the rear of the photograph.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Looking down Broadway Avenue from The Square
- Held In