This photograph is the earliest known photo of Palmerston North's first public school. The photo was taken after 1878 because the first Presbyterian Church (erected in that year) can be seen in the background on the far right. This school was the fore-runner of the present Central School and was established in the year 1872 with Mr R N Keeling as teacher. When a new school was erected in 1890, this building was probably incorporated into the first Empire Hotel, which was destroyed by fire in 1895. There were four main incarnations of Central School - The Original School (corner of Main and Princess Streets, 1872-1890), Campbell Street School (1890-1922), Central School (Featherston Street, built 1922), Central Normal School (became a practice school for teachers college students in 1956). The school has been partially drawn in by hand.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- First Public School in Palmerston North
- Held In