This photograph shows the Square on a very wet day. The buildings from left are: J R Ross, Hairdresser and Tobacconist; The European Fruit Market; Whiteheads Bakery and Confectionery; United Farmers Co-Operative Association (from 1895-1908); Watson Bros., General Store (later taken over by the UFCA); A Stanton, confectioner; Wellington Meat Market; Millar and Giorgi, Mens Clothiers (built 1902, destroyed by fire in 1910 and rebuilt); C S Pickering, bicycle shop, and Bunting's Photographic Studios; A Turner, decorator and paintware shop (he also owned the Club Hotel on the old Maple Furniture site on Church Street East); Club Hotel (brick section completed 1906); the end of W D Durward's Drapery (1908-1915) on the site that would become the PDC (now the Plaza). In the middle of the photograph is the band rotunda. It was the second in the Square, having replaced a smaller incarnation in 1907. This rotunda was pulled down in 1956 to make way for the Hopwood Clock Tower.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- The Square from Main Street East to Church Street East
- Held In