Matilda Perrin (nee Montgomery), (1854-1914) was the adopted daughter of the Snelson family. She married John Perrin (1844-1914) in 1874 in Palmerston North, where they raised nine children. John Perrin and others established the first construction firm in Palmerston North, Merrin, Perrin and Oakley. Early constructions included the fist Anglican Church and the Bon Marche Store.
Matilda was one of approximately 523 Palmerston North women who signed the Suffrage petition, submitted to Parliament in 1893. She is pictured here with her daughters Rachel and Ada.