Skip to Content

This Hoffman oblong continuous kiln in Palmerston North has not been used since 1959. It is one of the few left in New Zealand and thought to be the only one still in the North Island. It is listed in category 1 under the Historic Places Act 1993. Brick and Pipes Limited, formed 1919, took over this Hoffman kiln from Mr R D Edwards, and in 1929 amalgamated with two other brickmakers, Mr W Mouldey and Trevor Bros. In 1983, Brick and Pipes Ltd ceased trading.

Identification

Object type
Image
Relation
PNCC Series 7/8/5
Date
1982
Digitisation ID
2009P_Bc251_BUI_2570
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Interior of Hoffman brick kiln, Featherston Street
Hoffman brick kiln, Fetherston Street
Hoffman brick kiln, Featherston Street
Hoffman Kiln, Featherston Street
Hoffman Kiln, Featherston Street
Wheelbarrow inside Hoffman brick kiln, Featherston Street
Interior of Hoffman brick kiln, Featherson Street
Hoffman brick kiln, Featherston Street
Interior of Hoffman brick kiln, Featherston Street
Former Brick and Pipes Co. Ltd, Featherston Street
New Zealand Motor Bodies plant, Keith Street
Hoffman brick kiln, Featherston Street

Taxonomy

Tags
brothers,
building,
buildings,
business,
industry,
photographs,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Interior of Hoffman brick kiln, Featherston Street
Hoffman brick kiln, Fetherston Street
Hoffman brick kiln, Featherston Street
Hoffman Kiln, Featherston Street
Hoffman Kiln, Featherston Street
Wheelbarrow inside Hoffman brick kiln, Featherston Street
Interior of Hoffman brick kiln, Featherson Street
Hoffman brick kiln, Featherston Street
Interior of Hoffman brick kiln, Featherston Street
Former Brick and Pipes Co. Ltd, Featherston Street
New Zealand Motor Bodies plant, Keith Street
Hoffman brick kiln, Featherston Street