"Kaingahou" in Palmerston North was built for Ditlev Monrad after he retired from Karere in 1905. He died in 1908. The house was later owned by the Kendall family, Mr R A Swan, Mrs Helen Beckman and Bodil and Gunner Petersen. The 3500 square foot home is built of solid kauri timber. The range was supplied and built by A D Hopwood, the first hardware merchant in Palmerston North.