Skip to Content

'Atawhai', meaning 'warm welcome', was built for Edwin Keiller, a widower, as a healthy place to raise his children. It was designed by C.T. Natusch, the architect, and built by Arthur Bennett at the top of the bluff across the bridge from Palmerston North. At the time building materials had to be hauled up the bluff by a double pulley, although a steep access road was built at a later date. The house had 17 rooms, plus sculleries and pantries, and included a veranda facing the sun. The house remained in the family until 1963 when the Presbyterian Educational Trust bought it. It is administered in conjunction with Massey University as a hostel for students and is now known as Fergusson Hall.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2010N_Bur82_3179
Title
Brian Keiller's study at 'Atawhai', Fitzherbert
Held In
Coolstore
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Bur 82
Date
circa 1950 to circa 1959

Related items

Drawing room of "Whare Rata", Fitzherbert
Dining room of the 'The Wattles', home of William Park, corner of Linton and College Streets
‘The Wattles’, corner of Linton and College Streets
9 Chaytor Street
Rawstrom family and house, corner of Princess and Ferguson Streets
462 Featherston Street
"Te Mahoe", College Street
Villa
Early cottage
Voss homestead, Palmerston North – Foxton Highway
Unidentified villa
Entrance hall of 'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street

Creation

Created By
Place
Massey College, Palmerston North

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
building,
buildings,
dwelling,
home,
house,
interior,
office,
photographs,
residence,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Drawing room of "Whare Rata", Fitzherbert
Dining room of the 'The Wattles', home of William Park, corner of Linton and College Streets
‘The Wattles’, corner of Linton and College Streets
9 Chaytor Street
Rawstrom family and house, corner of Princess and Ferguson Streets
462 Featherston Street
"Te Mahoe", College Street
Villa
Early cottage
Voss homestead, Palmerston North – Foxton Highway
Unidentified villa
Entrance hall of 'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street