Skip to Content

More Info →"Te Mahoe", College Street

The view of the house on South Street. In 1910 William Park sold “The Wattles' and went to live in a newly constructed 18 room house further along College Street. He named this house, on Section 976, “Te Mahoe”. It stood on the western corner of South Street and College Street. In Mr Park’s time South Street was a cul-de-sac from Ferguson Street and the driveway to “Te Mahoe” ran along the site of the present College Street end of South Street. Mr Park sold the house to the Board of Governors of the Palmerston North High School, and from 1925 to 1938 the building was used as a hostel by Palmerston North Girls’ High School. During World War Two it was occupied by the Army and shortly after the war, about 1950, it was demolished to make way for State houses.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2010N_Bur36_3158
Title
"Te Mahoe", College Street
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Bur 36
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

"Te Mahoe", College Street
Maud and Mollie Warburton at Warburton residence, Main Street
Residence of Joseph Beale, Rangitikei Street
Warburton home, Main Street
"The Wattles", home of William Park, corner of College and Linton Streets
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
Caccia Birch Rest Home, Te Awe Awe Street
63 Karina Terrace
Warburton house, Main Street
398 Church Street
Rose garden at 'Atawhai', Fitzherbert

Creation

Created By
Place
Corner of South and College street, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1911

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

"Te Mahoe", College Street
Maud and Mollie Warburton at Warburton residence, Main Street
Residence of Joseph Beale, Rangitikei Street
Warburton home, Main Street
"The Wattles", home of William Park, corner of College and Linton Streets
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
Caccia Birch Rest Home, Te Awe Awe Street
63 Karina Terrace
Warburton house, Main Street
398 Church Street
Rose garden at 'Atawhai', Fitzherbert

User comments