Built for Jacob Nannestad, a sawmiller, the house was bought by John Henderson Pollock Strang in 1903 and extensively renovated and extended. During 1908-1910 the house was leased by Strang to the Crown for use as the residence of Lord Plunket, Governor General of New Zealand. In 1921 it was sold to William Caccia Birch. It remained in the Caccia Birch family until gifted to the Government in 1941. After various uses it was eventually given to the Palmerston North City Council. It is now called Caccia Birch and serves as a function centre.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Entrance hall of 'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
- Held In