This house was built in 1905 by Mr John Hankins, a solicitor with Hankins, Fitzherbert and Abraham. In 1910 the house was bought by Mr Robert McNab, a prominent New Zealand historian who had a fire-proof concrete library added to the house. The house became a maternity hospital and nursing home in 1925. It was owned by the Charters sisters and known as 'Levuka'. After it was partly destroyed by fire in 1929 it was bought by Mrs J L Hopwood, who, in 1934, had the house remodelled as the Cranleigh Apartment House. In the late 1930s it was renumbered as 189 Fitzherbert Avenue. The house had about 36 rooms and was still existant in the late 1970s.Plans, by the architectural firm L G West, of the 1934 remodelling and the 10 bedroom annex built that year are held in the Ian Matheson City Archives; CA: L G West, Ref Nos 428, 429 & 433.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- McNab house, 151 Fitzherbert Avenue
- Held In