Skip to Content

Workmen are constructing the children's pool in Memorial Park at Terrace End (formerly called Fitzroy Park). The Palmerston North City Council purchased the site in 1938 and developed it into a recreational and sporting area. A memorial to citizens killed in World War Two (WWII) was erected and in 1954 Fitzroy Park was officially dedicated as Memorial Park. As the obelisk was removed 1983 the gates are now the official memorial. Note the railway lines in the foreground, from when the line ran out of the city via Main Street, before the Milson deviation took it to the outskirts.

Identification

Object type
Image
Date
circa 1939
Digitisation ID
2007N_P5_RES_0135
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Constuction of Fitzroy Park Cycle Track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Layout of Fitzroy Park
Paddling pool Memorial Park
Memorial Park, Napier Road

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
construction,
fitzroy park,
swimming pool,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Constuction of Fitzroy Park Cycle Track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Construction of Fitzroy Park cycle track
Layout of Fitzroy Park
Paddling pool Memorial Park
Memorial Park, Napier Road