Skip to Content

More Info →Trout Hatchery, Victoria Esplanade

Development began on the Victoria Esplanade in Palmerston North, named to mark Queen Victoria's 60th jubilee, in 1897. A small trout hatchery, run by a branch of the Acclimatization Society, was established at the gardens in its early days. The six tanks on the ground are filled with fingerlings about to be released into the Manawatu River. Men identified as Mr Tom Rickard, who worked for H Brougham carriers, and Mr Gerald H Weir, who was in charge of supervising the fingerlings. The Palmerston North City Council moved that the hatchery pond be filled in, in 1927 (PNCC Minute Book, 1 August 1927).

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2007N_P123_RES_0169
Title
Trout Hatchery, Victoria Esplanade
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Trout Hatchery, Victoria Esplanade
Acclimatisation Society members
Postcard of the Grand Hotel in The Square
Peter Black Conservatory, Victoria Esplanade
"Mills Fish"
"Seasonal liberation of trout fry begins"
Aerial photograph of Memorial Park, Terrace End
Helicopter transports materials to the Sledge Track, Kahuterawa
Bledisloe Park, Massey University
Camping at the Municipal Camping Ground, Dittmer Drive
Picnic at Foxton Beach
Municipal Camping Grounds, Dittmer Drive

Creation

Created By
Place
Victoria Esplanade, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1906

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Trout Hatchery, Victoria Esplanade
Acclimatisation Society members
Postcard of the Grand Hotel in The Square
Peter Black Conservatory, Victoria Esplanade
"Mills Fish"
"Seasonal liberation of trout fry begins"
Aerial photograph of Memorial Park, Terrace End
Helicopter transports materials to the Sledge Track, Kahuterawa
Bledisloe Park, Massey University
Camping at the Municipal Camping Ground, Dittmer Drive
Picnic at Foxton Beach
Municipal Camping Grounds, Dittmer Drive

User comments