Ernie Davis (b. 1901), was the son of James and Harriet Davis, who farmed in the Tiritea/Fitzherbert area c1897-1910, after which they moved into Palmerston North. Ernie served in WWII, and became a building inspector. he married Dot Rennet in 1954. Note the sign enforcing a 15mph speed limit through the Gorge with the threat of a 10 pound penalty if caught exceeding the limit.