Mr Cecil Augustus Victo Hotezzi de Cortando von Blaremberg was born in Oldenburg, Germany in 1846 and migrated to New Zealand on the ship ‘Wild Duck’ 1867. He married Miss Elizabeth Mantel in Wellington 1869. Prior to his naturalization in about 1823, Mr Von Blaramberg used the surname of Curtis, and it was under this name that he established Te Aro Grammar and Commercial School, Wellington, 1870. Mr & Mrs Von Blaramberg moved to Matarawa, near Wanganui, in about 1881 and conducted a school there until 1889, when they moved to Palmerston North. Von Blaramberg was the Headmaster of the Terrace End School from 1889 until 1893, when he resigned after a period of disagreement with the School Committee. In 1891 Mrs Von Blaramberg established the 'Carow Girls Collegiate School', a private school situated between Grey Street and Featherston Street. Mr Von Blaramberg assisted his wife in this school after 1893 - 1901 when it was sold. They then conducted a smaller private school for boys and girls in Church Street east and later in Cuba Street. Mr Von Blaramberg died at Woodville, August 1921, and his wife died at Aramoho, Wanganui, August 1938.