Skip to Content

More Info →Main Post Office

This building was Palmerston North’s fourth Post Office, operating from 1906-1988. The original 1906 building was extended towards Broadway and up Main Street in the early 1920s and in 1937. It was originally built with a clock tower but this was removed in 1942 after an earthquake for safety reasons and the clock and chimes were re-housed in the Hopwood Clock Tower in The Square in 1957.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Po24_007515
Title
Main Post Office
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Po 24
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Main Post Office
Shops in The Square
“Post & Telegraph Office” Postcard
Palmerston North Post Office
Palmerston North Police Station
"A Finger in the Works" Meter Maid Checking Parking Meter.
Looking down Broadway
Millers Open Warehouse Paperhanger, 75-77 The Square
Palmerston North Post Office
Fibremakers' Nylon and Polyester Plant
Palmerston North Post Office
Palmerston North Post Office

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North
Date
1981

Object rights

Credit Line
Manawatu Evening Standard

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Main Post Office
Shops in The Square
“Post & Telegraph Office” Postcard
Palmerston North Post Office
Palmerston North Police Station
"A Finger in the Works" Meter Maid Checking Parking Meter.
Looking down Broadway
Millers Open Warehouse Paperhanger, 75-77 The Square
Palmerston North Post Office
Fibremakers' Nylon and Polyester Plant
Palmerston North Post Office
Palmerston North Post Office

User comments