This building was Palmerston North’s fourth Post Office, operating from 1906-1988. It was extended towards Broadway and up Main Street in the early 1920s and in 1937. This image must come from 1905, before the clock face had been installed. The clock tower was removed in 1942 for safety reasons and the clock and chimes were re-housed in the ‘new’ clock tower in The Square in 1957. The building is currently used as a bar and cafe. (2015) The postcard was created as part of a series of eight replicating scenes of Palmerston North.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- “Post & Telegraph Office” Postcard
- Held In