Skip to Content

“Placing bees in position at Palmerston North September 1896”. John Hobbs, and his brother, Arthur, shifted 100 moveable apiary hives from the Wanganui district to Kairanga, siting them on Aorangi Road on land leased from Mr Carroll. By 1901 the brothers had 6 apiaries distributed throughout the Kairanga.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2007N_Ka20_RTL_0818
Title
Unpacking the First Commercial Apiary in Kairanga
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Ka 20
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Unpacking the First Commercial Apiary in Kairanga
John Hobbs' house on Aorangi Road, Kairanga
Mr Charles E Wildbore's Apiary at Pohangina
Hobbs brothers' apiary
[Spintop Honey]
Wildbore Apiary, Pohangina
Wildbore Apiary, Pohangina
Square Circular - April 2017
A traction engine hauling three wagon loads of grain
Mark and Peter Oden with calves at Calf Club Day, Whakarongo School
Original Vautier Homestead
Amesbury Brother's Rongotea Store and Bakery

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North
Date
September 1896

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Tags
beekeeper,
bees,
hives,
honey,
photographs,
rural towns and life,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Unpacking the First Commercial Apiary in Kairanga
John Hobbs' house on Aorangi Road, Kairanga
Mr Charles E Wildbore's Apiary at Pohangina
Hobbs brothers' apiary
[Spintop Honey]
Wildbore Apiary, Pohangina
Wildbore Apiary, Pohangina
Square Circular - April 2017
A traction engine hauling three wagon loads of grain
Mark and Peter Oden with calves at Calf Club Day, Whakarongo School
Original Vautier Homestead
Amesbury Brother's Rongotea Store and Bakery

User comments