Skip to Content

The statue of Peeti Te Awe Awe, commissioned by his sister Ereni Te Awe Awe, was erected on the northern side of The Square in 1907. It was designed by Harold Anderson, a local artist and photographer, and made of white carrara marble. Te Peeti Te Awe Awe (c 1820-1884), a Chief of the Rangitāne Tribe, was prominent in the establishment of Palmerston North. The statue remains in the same place as it was originally erected (2008).

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2007N_Sq258_SQU_0482
Title
Te Awe Awe Statue in The Square
Held In
Coolstore
Date
circa 1920 to circa 1929

Related items

Lakelet in The Square
Te Awe Awe statue, the Square
Railway line running through The Square
Aerial view of Palmerston North
Te Marae o Hine / The Square
The Square, Palmerston North
A View of Te Marae o Hine / The Square
Businesses on The Square
A View of the Square
A View of Te Marae o Hine / The Square
Statue of Te Peeti Te Awe Awe, The Square
Te Awe Awe Statue, The Square

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
1920s,
band rotunda,
black and white,
gardens,
palmerston north,
statue,
te peeti te awe awe statue,
the square,
Community Tags
te awe awe statue,

Report a problem

Related items

Lakelet in The Square
Te Awe Awe statue, the Square
Railway line running through The Square
Aerial view of Palmerston North
Te Marae o Hine / The Square
The Square, Palmerston North
A View of Te Marae o Hine / The Square
Businesses on The Square
A View of the Square
A View of Te Marae o Hine / The Square
Statue of Te Peeti Te Awe Awe, The Square
Te Awe Awe Statue, The Square