Skip to Content

More Info →A View of the Square

This is a photograph of the Square, oriented towards the portion of the Square between Main Street West and Church Street West. The buildings, from left are: Provincial Hotel (burned down in 1906 and was replaced by the Grand Hotel, now the Grand Cafe and Bar), Daily Times, J Mortensen (watchmaker and jeweller), R Hannah Boot, W Park (bookseller), R Leary (chemist), Leary and Dixon ('The Home of Music') and an unidentified building that was once J Linton's Land Office. The original band rotunda is the prominent feature on the right side of this photograph. On the left is a sign which reads, "Please Keep Off The Grass".

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Sq135_008884
Title
A View of the Square
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 135
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

A View of the Square
Railway line running through The Square
Te Awe Awe Statue in The Square
The Square, Palmerston North
Band rotunda, The Square
Lakelet in The Square
Te Peeti Statue and The Square, From Above
The Square gardens
Alf Taylor in front of the band rotunda
The Square
Postcard of the Square - Church Street West through to Main Street West
Coronation Monument and Band Rotunda in the Square

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1900

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

A View of the Square
Railway line running through The Square
Te Awe Awe Statue in The Square
The Square, Palmerston North
Band rotunda, The Square
Lakelet in The Square
Te Peeti Statue and The Square, From Above
The Square gardens
Alf Taylor in front of the band rotunda
The Square
Postcard of the Square - Church Street West through to Main Street West
Coronation Monument and Band Rotunda in the Square

User comments