This is the third Anglican church building to be constructed on the site. Frederick De Jersey Clere was commissioned to design a new church and builder was John Henry Meyer. The building was completed in 1914 and consecrated in 1916. It is a large church, 65 feet wide and over 140 feet in length. The design is English gothic style and the building is largely authentic on the interior and exterior. Among the many interior features is the Great East Window, with tracery forming a cross, installed in 1924 as a memorial to those who died in the First World War, the organ, 1929, and the 1939 Oamaru stone altar. The first church on the site was built in 1875, to be replaced by a second in 1882. The second church was subsequently moved back on the site, for construction of the third, and remained in church use until 2007 when it was bunrt down.
- Created By
- Church Street, Palmerston North
- Credit Line
- Palmerston North City Library
- Community Tags