Skip to Content

A building under construction in 1935 for Leary’s Pharmacies Ltd, to replace the original building built by Richard Leary in 1885. Richard Leary established his business in 1875 and continued in business until his death in 1901. A J Graham, an employee of Leary's, took over the management of the pharmacy in 1902 and continued its operation until 1927 when a company, “Leary’s Pharmacies Ltd”, was formed in conjunction with Messrs J K Paton and R L C Aitchinson. The architect was R Thorrold-Jaggard.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Bc368_009617
Title
Leary's Pharmacy under Construction, The Square
Relation
Public Collection Bc 368; R.W. Thorrold-Jaggard
Format
B&W print
Held In
Community Archives
Archive
R.W. Tnorrold-Jaggard

Related items

Leary's Pharmacy under Construction, The Square
Leary's Pharmacy under Construction, The Square
Old Buildings Section 662 prior to demolition for new Library
Postcard of the Grand Hotel in The Square
Construction of new Public Library
Clarendon Hotel on West end of the Square
A View of Coleman Place
A Sunny Day in The Square
Colour Postcard of “South View” of the Square
The Square, Palmerston North
Corner of Rangitikei Street and The Square
Looking Across the Square from the corner of Broadway

Creation

Created By
Date
1935

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Tags
construction,
learys,
pedestrians,
pharmacy,
the square,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Leary's Pharmacy under Construction, The Square
Leary's Pharmacy under Construction, The Square
Old Buildings Section 662 prior to demolition for new Library
Postcard of the Grand Hotel in The Square
Construction of new Public Library
Clarendon Hotel on West end of the Square
A View of Coleman Place
A Sunny Day in The Square
Colour Postcard of “South View” of the Square
The Square, Palmerston North
Corner of Rangitikei Street and The Square
Looking Across the Square from the corner of Broadway

User comments