On the corner of Fitzherbert Avenue is the Occidental Hotel, which was built in 1887 and later burnt down in 1891. When re-built, it took over the shops that had been destroyed in the original fire. On the opposite side of Fitzherbert Avenue is the Bank of New Zealand. The original wooden structure (built 1878) was removed in 1902, when a brick building was constructed in its place. This brick building was renovated in 1909. The building on the far-right is the Municipal Chamber (the former Colonial Bank of New Zealand). The Band Rotunda was first built in 1899 to be replaced in 1907 with a larger model.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Colour Postcard of “South View” of the Square
- Held In