The Bank of New Zealand was first built in the Square in 1878 and in 1902 a concrete building was erected, this being remodeled in 1909. In 1915, the BNZ moved to the corner of Rangitikei Street and the Square and in 1954 a branch was set up in the old building. This photo was taken before extensive modernisation took place in 1963. The entire block (barring the old Municipal Chambers and All Saints Church) has been extensively remodeled. The BNZ is now located in the old Club Hotel building (2014). Between the BNZ and the City Council Chambers on the right was the Golden Gate Fish Shop, the Manawatu Meat Company, the Pram House and the Evening Standard Building. Only the Evening Standard remains in the newly modernised block. The City Council Chambers (now Square Edge) was built in 1944-1945. All Saints Church was constructed in 1915, the brick building shown here replacing the original wooden structure of 1878.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Looking down Church Street West from Fitzherbert Avenue
- Held In