This photograph shows the section of The Square between Coleman Mall and Main Street East. From Left: The Commercial Hotel (with the advertisement for Leopard: Quality Beer on top), Tates Cakes (Pink Cake Shop), Patron Pharmacy, Gerald Taylors, Williams, the Meat Market, Gloria Jewellers (?), British Office Supplies. On the right side of the image is the DIC building. This building was constructed in 1927-1928 for CM Ross and Co Ltd. In 1959 CM Ross sold to Milne and Choyce, and in 1966 it was onsold to the DIC. The DIC subsequently sold to Arthur Barnett in 1989. After closing as a department store in 1991 the building was acquired by the PNCC who extensively redesigned it as the Palmerston North City Library, opening 1996. It is a listed heritage building.