Skip to Content

More Info →A View of the Lakelet

The Lakelet was constructed in October 1909. It was the main feature of the last quadrant of The Square to be developed by the Beautifying Society. James Nash, Mayor of Palmerston North 1908-1923, opened The Lakelet before a crowd on 27 October 1909. The Lakelet is shaped as a butterfly, with the wings being bisected by a bridge as its body. It is also referred to as the Butterfly Lake.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Sq183_008895
Title
A View of the Lakelet
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 183
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

A View of the Lakelet
View of the Lakelet in the Square
View of the Lakelet in the Square
Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet in The Square
Square Gardens and Lakelet
Lakelet and Observatory
View of The Lakelet
Lakelet and Grand Hotel, The Square
Square Gardens and The Lakelet
Looking across The Square to Church Street West
A View of The Square from All Saints Church

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
1975

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

A View of the Lakelet
View of the Lakelet in the Square
View of the Lakelet in the Square
Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet in The Square
Square Gardens and Lakelet
Lakelet and Observatory
View of The Lakelet
Lakelet and Grand Hotel, The Square
Square Gardens and The Lakelet
Looking across The Square to Church Street West
A View of The Square from All Saints Church

User comments