Envelope addressed and signed by Lord Palmerston, to Rev. W Emery B D [William], Archdeacon of Ely, Christs College, Cambridge. Subsequently readdressed by another to A Brady Esquire, Maryland Point, Stratford, London. Envelope date stamped, with red one penny stamp and seal of Lord Palmerston. Lord Palmerston (1784-1865), after whom Palmerston North was named, was born Henry John Temple, son of Viscount Palmerston. He served as a British Member of Parliament, in high office and then Prime Minister, almost continuously from 1807 to his death. The donor of the Lord Palmerston collection, F C Holland of England (who was interested in philately and postal history) donated a number of items related to Lord Palmerton during the 1970s, after visiting Palmerston North.