The horse drawn vehicle on the left of the photo is standing at the corner of Grey Street and Rangitikei Street. On the opposite side of the street are several landmarks of old Palmerston North. The Abraham and Williams building stood on part of section 266 while alongside the premises of Barraud and Abraham. Opposite this is the office of Bell's cordial factory and the Reid and Gray premises. Moving closer to The Square, a small wooden building with a wooden fence on either side is visible. This building has the word "Repairs" on its wall, so it may have been occupied by a boot repair business. It was the office of Matthew Henry for several years. The wooden fences marked the site of two large sale-yards (Matthew Henry's Saleyards and NZ Loan and Mercantile [further away]) while the shop of F H Burbush (saddler) can be seen in the distance, adjoining the wooden premises of the NZ Loan and Mercantile Agency Co Ltd. This firm erected a new two-storey brick building in 1903. Alongside the Loan and Mercantile premises is the two-storey wooden building (with ornate front and flagpole) owned by J Bett and used as a carriage building factory. Manson and Barr's hardware store also occupied some of this building. Tattersall's Stables are located next door. The Clarendon Hotel is visible on the opposite side of Cuba Street (section 262), which burnt down in 1904. In the centre distance is the old band rotunda and the two-storey Bank of New Zealand building (erected 1902), which stands on the corner of Fitzherbert Avenue and The Square.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Shops Along Rangitikei Street
- Held In