Skip to Content
Hand-tinted Esplanade Postcard 1

More Info →Hand-tinted Postcard of Victoria Esplanade Gardens

In 1890, the Palmerston North Reserves Act resulted in 39 acres along the bank of the Manawatu River set aside for the development of a park. The first development occurred in 1897 when a metal path was formed at the Fitzherbert Ave end. The whole area was named the “Victoria Esplanade” to celebrate Queen Victoria’s 60th jubilee. Shown here are some of the lovely intersecting paths and the manicured lawns.

Identification

Object type
Postcard
Digitisation ID
2016P_Postcard16_013204
Title
Hand-tinted Postcard of Victoria Esplanade Gardens
Format
Postcard
Held In
Coolstore
Archive
Postcard Collection

Related items

Hand-tinted Postcard of Victoria Esplanade Gardens
Tea Kiosk, Victoria Esplanade
Railway Station, Palmerston North
The Punt, Manawatu River Near Palmerston North
Playground at Victoria Esplanade
The Square, Palmerston North
The Square South West, 1902
The Square with Post Office and Te Awe Awe Statue
Flower Bed Esplanade
Walking in Turitea Stream
Train in the Square
Victoria Esplanade Rose Gardens

Creation

Created By
Date
circa 1910

Object rights

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Hand-tinted Postcard of Victoria Esplanade Gardens
Tea Kiosk, Victoria Esplanade
Railway Station, Palmerston North
The Punt, Manawatu River Near Palmerston North
Playground at Victoria Esplanade
The Square, Palmerston North
The Square South West, 1902
The Square with Post Office and Te Awe Awe Statue
Flower Bed Esplanade
Walking in Turitea Stream
Train in the Square
Victoria Esplanade Rose Gardens

User comments