The Butterfly Lakelet was constructed in 1909 by the then Beautification Society. The fountains were added in the 1960s.
Taken by 'Photo Instruments' when testing a camera or lens. Photo Instruments originally operated in Rangitikei Street, with a studio and darkroom in the Oroua Power Building, before renting floor space in the PDC. It was operated by Merlyn an Alfred Drew from the 1960s to c. 1989.