Skip to Content

More Info →Fish Hatchery Pond, Victoria Esplanade

Shown here is the Acclimatisation Society’s fish hatchery pond at the eastern end of the Victoria Esplanade. Joe Monkensen, second from right, was from Hillrod, Denmark. The Palmerston North City Council moved that the hatchery be filled in, in 1927 (PNCC Minute Book, 1 August 1927). The band rotunda in the background was originally located in the Square but was shifted to the Esplanade in 1907. It was demolished in 1966. The Victoria Esplanade, named during Queen Victoria’s 60th year on the throne, was opened in 1897

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2011N_P104_006024
Title
Fish Hatchery Pond, Victoria Esplanade
Relation
Public Photograph Collection P 104
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Paddling Pool, Victoria Esplanade
Children's Paddling pool - Victoria Esplanade
Fish Hatchery Pond, Victoria Esplanade
Children's Paddling Pool - Victoria Esplanade
Construction of the Children's paddling pool, Victoria Esplanade
Paddling Pool at the Esplanade
Children's Paddling Pool - Victoria  Esplanade
Pupils swimming in Hokowhitu School baths.
Swimming Baths, Fitzherbert East School
At the Lido Pool
Demolition of former Municipal Baths, Ashley Street
Centennial Book of Views around Palmerston North, 1870s-1970s

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North
Date
circa 1907

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Paddling Pool, Victoria Esplanade
Children's Paddling pool - Victoria Esplanade
Fish Hatchery Pond, Victoria Esplanade
Children's Paddling Pool - Victoria Esplanade
Construction of the Children's paddling pool, Victoria Esplanade
Paddling Pool at the Esplanade
Children's Paddling Pool - Victoria  Esplanade
Pupils swimming in Hokowhitu School baths.
Swimming Baths, Fitzherbert East School
At the Lido Pool
Demolition of former Municipal Baths, Ashley Street
Centennial Book of Views around Palmerston North, 1870s-1970s

User comments