Memorial Park (previously named Fitzroy Park) at Terrace End, was formerly a metal pit used by the Railways Department 1876-1937 for ballast. The Palmerston North City Council purchased the 21 acre site in 1938 and developed it into a recreational and sporting area. A WWII memorial was erected 1952 and in 1954 Fitzroy Park was officially dedicated as Memorial Park. Note the railway lines running to the left of the park, from when the line ran out of the city via Main Street, before the Milson deviation took it to the outskirts.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Aerial photograph of Memorial Park, Terrace End
- Held In