The Manawatu Evening Standard began publishing in Palmerston North in 1880, the first daily newspaper in the Manawatu and Wanganui area. At the time this photo was taken it claimed to have the "largest circulation in the district" (see letters on verandah roof). The founder of the paper was Mr Alexander McMinn. The Manawatu Daily Times of 24 November 1884 states that the two shops on the ground floor of the Standard building were occupied by Thomas Jordan (saddler) and Mr Gatton (bootmaker), but this photo shows H Littlejohn's premises (watchmaker), making it likely this photograph was taken after 1884. It is thought that H Littlejohn is the person standing in front of the building. McMinn sold the paper for Frederick Pirani in 1891. The building to the left is Walkley's Commercial Hotel, situated on the corner of Main Street West and The Square. The small building to the right is the offices of Messrs Hawkins and Son. The Commercial Hotel and the Standard building were both destroyed in a fire in 1900.