Looking across the Square from Rangitikei Street on the right to Coleman Place on the left. The Clarendon Hotel is the building on the left. It was first built in the early 1870s, but destroyed by fire on 28 January 1904. The brick building was built in 1904 and finally pulled down in 1931 after the Napier earthquake. The Statue of Te Awe Awe is in the centre of the postcard (built in 1907). The King Edward VII Coronation monument (erected 1902) is the small white spire in the middle right of the postcard. Behind Coleman Place on the left is the old bell tower from the fire station. The band rotunda here was in the Square 1899 to 1907 when it was replaced with a larger one. The postcard must have been taken in 1907 as both the Te Awe Awe Statue and the old Band Rotunda (moved in 1907) are present.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Colour Postcard of The Square
- Held In