Looking down Cuba Street to the Commercial Union Building on the corner of King and Rangitikei Streets. The eight-storey building was built in 1973 for $1,000,000 on the site of the old Hotel Imperial, by Commercial Union, an insurance business in New Zealand since 1890. It was officially opened 20 November 1973 by Joe Walding, Minister for Overseas Trade and Member of Parliament for Palmerston North. Originally, the ground level had six shops and a service desk for Commercial Union, floors 1-5 were occupied by the motor registration department of the Post Office (for the whole country), floors 6-7 were occupied by Commercial Union and the top floor housed a staff cafeteria. The building is currently used as student flats and hosts office space (2015). Published in the Manawatu Standard 31 July 1975.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Commercial Union Assurance Building, Rangitikei Street
- Held In