Skip to Content

More Info →Shops on Broadway Avenue

This photograph shows a flurry of activity on Broadway Avenue. From left: Old Waldegrave building built 1894; Hannahs building, occupied by Leopold and Simmons, seen just before demolition (the new Waldegrave building was then constructed on this and the next two sites); Joe Kwong Lee Fruiterers, in process of demolition; vacant site, formerly occupied by NZI Co.; Collinson and Cunninghame Ltd, originally built in 1904. Broad Street became Broadway Avenue, by a Borough Council resolution, in March 1926, at the instigation of G H Bennett, bookseller, and other retailers. See 2014p_sq307_008931 for another view of this scene.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014N_Sq301_008689
Title
Shops on Broadway Avenue
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 301
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Shops on Broadway Avenue
Bustling Broadway Avenue
Construction of R Leary's Chemist, The Square
Hopwood Clock Tower
Corner of Fitzherbert Street and The Square
Train Steaming through The Square
Aerial view of central Palmerston North
Andrews Collection: Myra, Joyce and Nessie with Square Cannon
Looking across The Square towards Coleman Place
Cannon in The Square
Post Office, The Square
Panorama of The Square from the top of the Post Office - circa 1914-1920

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North
Date
1932

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Shops on Broadway Avenue
Bustling Broadway Avenue
Construction of R Leary's Chemist, The Square
Hopwood Clock Tower
Corner of Fitzherbert Street and The Square
Train Steaming through The Square
Aerial view of central Palmerston North
Andrews Collection: Myra, Joyce and Nessie with Square Cannon
Looking across The Square towards Coleman Place
Cannon in The Square
Post Office, The Square
Panorama of The Square from the top of the Post Office - circa 1914-1920

User comments