Skip to Content

More Info →Postcard of the Square

This postcard shows the view from the interior section of Main Street to Coleman Place (now Coleman Mall). From left, the buildings are: Manawatu Tea Rooms (part of Bon Marche); Bon Marche - leased by CM Ross to form a department store and tearooms in 1905. In 1927, the present building was constructed (the lease having been bought by Ross) and became Roscos. In 1959, the shop was sold to Milne and Choyce Ltd, who in turn sold it to the DIC in 1967. It changed hands again to become a branch of Arthur Barnett's. In 1996, it was extensively remodeled in order to meet the needs of a new public library; The old fire station in Coleman Place was run by volunteers and built around 1883; the bell tower is visible. The station moved to Cuba Street in 1910; The building on the corner of the Square and Coleman Place is the Union Bank of Australia. It was destroyed in a fire in 1910; Everybody's Theatre built in 1912 and operating here until 1927. Garner and Garner's (G&G) drapery, Andrew Millar's Stationary and Bookshop and Edwards and Son's Hardware Merchants are also in the photo.

Identification

Object type
Postcard
Digitisation ID
2014N_Sq7_008567
Title
Postcard of the Square
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 7
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Postcard of the Square
Businesses in The Square
Band Rotunda, The Square
The Square between Rangitikei Street and Coleman Place
The Square and railway yards
Rangitikei Street
Retails Stores along the North Side of The Square
The Longburn Store
Pikes Furniture store
A. E Mann's Bootshop
Church Street East side of The Square
Commercial buildings, corner of Fitzherbert Avenue and College Street

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North
Date
circa 1908

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Postcard of the Square
Businesses in The Square
Band Rotunda, The Square
The Square between Rangitikei Street and Coleman Place
The Square and railway yards
Rangitikei Street
Retails Stores along the North Side of The Square
The Longburn Store
Pikes Furniture store
A. E Mann's Bootshop
Church Street East side of The Square
Commercial buildings, corner of Fitzherbert Avenue and College Street

User comments