Skip to Content

More Info →Awapuni Race Course

The decision to begin race meetings in Palmerston North was made at a meeting of sportsmen in October 1880. D H McArthur was to be President. The first race couse was situated at the end of Park Road and met there from July 1883 until 1903 when the Awapuni Race course was brought into commission (due to erosion at the previous site). A branch railway was laid in 1905 to carry patrons from Palmerston North to the race course.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014N_Ra5_007831
Title
Awapuni Race Course
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Ra 5
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Awapuni Race Course
Panorama of Awapuni Racecourse
Aerial view of Palmerston North
Aerial view of Palmerston North
Palmerston North Girls High School
Carpark, Awapuni Racecourse
Wedding of John Gardner and Nina Coombs
Aerial view of Palmerston North
Totalisator Building, Awapuni Racecourse
Totalisator Building, Awapuni Racecourse
Aerial view of Manawatu Karting Club Track
The pupils of Palmerston North Boys High School

Creation

Created By
Place
67 Racecourse Road, Awapuni, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1920 to circa 1930

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North Libraries and Community Services

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Awapuni Race Course
Panorama of Awapuni Racecourse
Aerial view of Palmerston North
Aerial view of Palmerston North
Palmerston North Girls High School
Carpark, Awapuni Racecourse
Wedding of John Gardner and Nina Coombs
Aerial view of Palmerston North
Totalisator Building, Awapuni Racecourse
Totalisator Building, Awapuni Racecourse
Aerial view of Manawatu Karting Club Track
The pupils of Palmerston North Boys High School

User comments