The Awapuni Racecourse was the second racecourse in Palmerston North. It was built on a raised area near a group of lagoons. The Racing Club bought 40 hectares and held their opening meeting on Boxing Day 1903, attended by a crowd of 10,000. It was used as a training ground for the main body of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force and later the New Zealand Army Medical Corps headquarters in World War One and used again as a military camp in World War Two.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Panorama of Awapuni Racecourse
- B&W print
- Held In