A home appliance display at Garners Store. Garners began in The Square, Palmerston North 7 February 1906 with a small drapery business. Three years later Miss M M Garner went into business with her brothers and they became “Garner and Garner'. In 1923 K M Garner joined the firm, later becoming its Managing Director. By 1937 Miss Garner was no longer involved in the business and Garners moved to the old Zealandia Hall site in Broadway Avenue, which was remodelled to suit the business. The building was remodelled again in 1959 and the premises were extended through to Main Street. R and W Thorrold-Jaggard were the architects. Garners were bought out by Smith and Brown in the 1960s.