This photograph was taken from the spire of the Roman Catholic Church in Broad Street (now Broadway Avenue), possibly just after it was completed in 1890. The two-storey buildings on the far-left are facing into the Square (on the site of Waldegrave Building). The long narrow building (foreground) is a stable and shoeing forge (site of the former State Theatre). In the middle distance, just to the left of the two trees, is W.T. Wood's Forge and Blacksmith business (on the corner of Cuba and Rangitikei Streets). To the right of this is Tattersall's Horse Bazaar, a stable with a large front door and a distinctive rounded top. Wood's and Tattersall's were situated on the southwest side of Rangitikei Street and were both burned down in 1894. Rangitikei Street can be seen in the right middle distance. The two-storey building on the far-right appears to be on or near the corner of Grey and Rangitikei Streets.