The building was situated in Main Street East on the corner of Ruahine Street. It was constructed in 1873 to provide temporary accommodation for immigrants arriving in the district and was first used by the Feilding settlers brought to New Zealand by the Emigrants’ and Colonists’ Aid Corporation (1874). The building was later made available to the Palmerston North Borough Council for hospital purposes and was used for housing injured persons prior to their transfer to Wanganui Hospital. The image shown is a from a photograph of a sketch done in 1874 by Mary Halcombe, wife of A W F Halcombe, agent for the Emigrants and Colonists Aid Corporation.
- Created By
- Svendsen Photography, Feilding
- Main Street, Palmerston North
- Credit Line
- Palmerston North City Library