A postcard showing a lovely shady walk within the Victoria Esplanade gardens. In 1890, the Palmerston North Reserves Act resulted in 39 acres along the river bank set aside for a park. The first development occurred in 1897 when a metal path was formed at the Fitzherbert Ave end. The whole area was named the “Victoria Esplanade” to celebrate Queen Victoria’s 60th jubilee. Later it became known as the Esplanade Gardens.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Tree-lined Walkway, Victoria Esplanade
- Held In