UCOL Building, 119 King Street
- Description
Designed in 1927 for E.C. Turner, this building is now regarded as the first ‘centre of town’ multi-storey block of flats built in Palmerston North. Designed by Thorrold-Jaggard with shops on the ground floor, the building was planned to include three wings. However, only the north wing was constructed. Off-street parking behind the building was reached through an entrance at the north end of the building. In its early years the building housed a veterinary clinic, while for most of its life, the upper stories were flats.
The building’s exterior draws on the ‘Free Style’ or the ‘Arts and Crafts style’ for its inspiration. It is a simple, symmetrical building, with little detailing – just bracketed cornices above the windows and the arched exterior balconies. The flats have a reinforced concrete frame with brick side walls. The leadlight windows are an attractive feature along with the stained glass used in the top lights of the shop fronts.
Identification
- Object type
- Image
- Date
- July 2020
- Digitisation ID
- 2020BD_IMCA-DigitalMaster_032292
- Format
- Born Digital
Taxonomy
- Community Tags