This two storey house was built for Joseph Beale in 1893. It was then sold to Andrew Guy in 1899. Guy was a member of a prominent family in Buteshire, Scotland and became a well-known solicitorand founder of the legal firm now known as Cooper, Rapley, Bennett and Thomson. Originally the property included ten acres of land with a frontage on Rangitikei Street. After Guy’s death his widow, Ellen, began subdivision in 1938, leading to the formation of Guy Avenue. The house was sold in the same year to Elizabeth Jane Duncan, transferred to John Henry Duncan in 1950, sold to Clarence Hunt in 1954 and to Ivan Moel Elliott in 1977. The house is listed in category 2 of the New Zealand Historic Places Trust register, for architectural significance.