Local historians weekly "Back Issues" article in the Manawatū Standard. History of Caccia Birch House since about 1895. Margaret Tennant writes that despite falling into disrepair at times, it is one of the few grand old homes in Palmerston North to survive when many others have been lost.
In 1941 it passed from private ownership to the NZ Government and was variously used by the army in WWII, as a convalescent home for nurses, and by both Victoria and Massey Universities. The house has been owned by Palmerston North City Council since 1984 and has been restored and renovated as a conference and function centre. It is a Category 1 listed building with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust because of its historical, architectural and community significance.