This stereoscopic image looks through The Square and down Broad Street (now Broadway Avenue). Note the spire - this topped the old St Patrick's Church. The building to the right with a clock tower is the Post Office. Built in 1906, on the corner of The Square and Main Street was Palmerston North’s fourth. Due to the risks in an earthquake, the clock tower was removed in 1942. They were re-purposed for the Hopwood Clock Tower. In 1988, when Telecom and Postbank became separate entities, the building ceased to be the Post Office. It currently operates as a restaurant and bar. This image is part of a set - see 2014P_Sq130_008883.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Stereoscopic Image of The Square from the Firebell Tower
- Held In