This 'Real Photograph' postcard shows the bridge over the lakelet in the Square with the with the Occidental Hotel in the background. The Occidental Hotel was originally built in 1881 and burnt down in 1891. After being rebuilt, it was again destroyed by fire in May 1927. The lakelet was opened October 1909. The Lakelet in this photograph was the main feature of the last quadrant of The Square to be developed by the Beautifying Society. James Nash, Mayor of Palmerston North, opened the lakelet on 27 October 1909. The Lakelet is shaped as a butterfly - the pool is shaped like wings and it is bisected by a bridge that serves as its body. It is also referred to as the Butterfly Lake.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Looking Across the Lakelet towards the Occidental Hotel
- Held In