This photo may have been taken from the top of the Grand Hotel on the corner of The Square and Church Street West. The buildings from right, are: The Bank of New Zealand on the right hand side of Fitzherbert Street (now Avenue); the second Occidental Hotel on the opposite side of Fitzherbert Street. It was originally built 1881, burnt down 1891, rebuilt and destroyed again by fire in May 1927. It became the site of the Palmerston North Municipal Library from 1927-1965; an unidentified tea room; DM George; x2 unidentified buildings; W.F. Durward's Drapery which operated from 1907-1915; The Club Hotel; the Opera house, built 1904-1905.