The statue on the left of the photograph is part of the commemoration of Edward VII, built in August 1902. The top of it is now part of the fountain that once graced the area in front of the old DIC building (now the City Library). The fountain now lives in the portion of the Square closest to Broadway Avenue, near the Ladies' Rest.
The band rotunda on the right was built in 1899.
The shops in the background include:  United Farmers Cooperative Association (1895-1908).  Millar and Giorgi, built in 1902 - the wooden building shown in the card was burnt down in 1910 and replaced.  The Club Hotel, with the brick additions completed in 1905.  J Watchorn's drapery, which became W Durward's in 1907  The Pegden Building and Nash Building.  The Occidental Hotel, built around 1888, burnt down first in 1891 and again in 1927. Also the site of the Municipal Library, 1927-1965. Post marked 5 February 1906