The Skunk, seen displayed at Greymouth, was one of the first railway locomotives to run a scheduled service between Palmerston North and Foxton in 1876. Designated Class 'A', it was one of three small tank locomotives built by the Lion Foundry and fitted with outside Stephenson link motion. The Skunk later worked on the line between Palmerston North and Wanganui, opened in 1878, and was relegated to shunting and ballast duties before going to Greymouth for harbour construction work.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- 'The Skunk', locomotive, Greymouth
- Held In